Why Me? Why Write? Why Now? Why Not?

The Me is Doug Curran…Douglas M Curran…Douglas Metcalf Curran. Douglas is Celtic for “dweller by the dark stream”. Curran in Gaelic means “little spear”. And Metcalf? Scottish for “I met a calf”? Hey I don’t know! I don't have all the answers. I'm still trying to get the questions right. At least I seem to be a spear fisher by some dirty water. Or maybe I'm a Druid. And that Curran thing may not even be as Irish as my Irish American wife, Colleen Fitzsimmons, hoped it was when she married me. Ok, I might be a Viking. It's like this. I was reading this book, The Lion Of Ireland, see, and the author, Morgan Llewellyn, recounts a last battle between Brian Boru and the Viking invader king, to regain Irish dominance again throughout the island and kick the fureners out. The Viking king's name? Olaf Cuaran? Cuaran? Curran? I'm a Viking now, so I am? And a descendent of one of those marauding and murderous pillagers and plunderers? I've never pillaged a thing in my life...well, maybe a book or two from somebody. I'm really just a gentle giant who loves books and music. Ok, I bought a sword recently, but only as a wall decoration to enhance my Irish family history coat of arms! Honest! Viking, Schmiking, so rest my Irish soul! Or my wife will have my old bald Irish head!

August 22, 2010

Advice To Shannon On Taking A Hike!

No really, my fatherly advice wasn't that strong - just answering her email regarding her excitement about hiking the "Y", and something for all you BYU fans out there too.

"Good luck! Last time I did that was in the early 60s when I was young and gaunt and game. It's quite a climb - be prepared to stop and gasp for air a lot and bring lots of water. The earlier or later in the day the better but not without some light. Take a flashlight in case night falls on top of you or you encounter an unexpected solar eclipse. And watch out for ankle sprains too. Wear good shoes of course, so no blisters and foot problems happen when you're not looking. Better bring a crutch in case. And a first aid kit with an ankle brace. I think there are tarantulas and rattlesnakes up there too, so bring a gun, a knife and a bow and arrow - in case of Cougars, you know, BYU and other kinds - and wild indians too, Utes mostly. Shoot them on sight, no questions asked. Our football team climbs it sometime soon this Summer as a big test of endurance in their current Camp, so don't get run over in the stampede..

Bring a can of whitewash to throw on the "Y" for good luck, or again on any unlucky Utes you might find up there - and might as well pack a four course brunch too with a table and chairs so you can picnic as long as you're up there. It's a nice view, so bring plenty of heavy cameras and tripods to take pictures with. Get a foto of our house while you're at it, ok? Hmmm, can't think of anything else. Maybe a beach towel for sunning - and wiping off all that sweat. Shane has hiked it most recently I think and could give you some tips. Maybe take a few flares in case you get lost and we have to come looking for you. They make good fireworks too. Make sure your cell phone is charged too. Yeah, that about covers it. And a compass. Dad"

1 comment:

  1. Hahaha! Oh Dad, this was the funniest email you sent me. Thank you for all the great advice. :)

    ReplyDelete