Why Me? Why Write? Why Now? Why Not?

The Me is Doug Curran…Douglas M Curran…Douglas Metcalf Curran. Douglas is Celtic for “dweller by the dark stream”. Curran in Gaelic means “little spear”. And Metcalf? Scottish for “I met a calf”? Hey I don’t know! I don't have all the answers. I'm still trying to get the questions right. At least I seem to be a spear fisher by some dirty water. Or maybe I'm a Druid. And that Curran thing may not even be as Irish as my Irish American wife, Colleen Fitzsimmons, hoped it was when she married me. Ok, I might be a Viking. It's like this. I was reading this book, The Lion Of Ireland, see, and the author, Morgan Llewellyn, recounts a last battle between Brian Boru and the Viking invader king, to regain Irish dominance again throughout the island and kick the fureners out. The Viking king's name? Olaf Cuaran? Cuaran? Curran? I'm a Viking now, so I am? And a descendent of one of those marauding and murderous pillagers and plunderers? I've never pillaged a thing in my life...well, maybe a book or two from somebody. I'm really just a gentle giant who loves books and music. Ok, I bought a sword recently, but only as a wall decoration to enhance my Irish family history coat of arms! Honest! Viking, Schmiking, so rest my Irish soul! Or my wife will have my old bald Irish head!

June 10, 2009

Getting my fruits and veggies...

Since I'm a carb addict, it's hard to think of getting my daily dose of fruits and veggies, though I do love them all. I'd rather drink juice than soda, also addictive, and I always remember my fellow men starving wherever when I'm about to eat a big piece of pie - and scrounge around the fridge for an old carrot just to assuage my guilt. But I never think of Fs & Vs when I'm hungry - maybe only when I'm doing my Weight Watchers tracking or watching some kiddie show with my grandkids when they teach some five-a-day program.

So I'm getting more fruits and veggies, where else, through my shampoos and shower soaps! Yes, I am getting coconut, kiwi/strawberry, mango/pomegranate, apple, peach, tangerine and any number of other fruits - even cucumber and watermelon are in the mix. And I come out of the shower smelling like a fruit salad! The only one I miss in the whole group is pumpkin, and I'll go into that more around Halloween. But I'm still waiting for that my first deluxe pumpkin shampoo if anyone out there knows where I can find one!

With the economy in shambles, more and more folks are turning to gardening - which we would do more of if we had the backs and knees for it. But last weekend, we did in get a few tomato and squash seedlings, and because of Colleen's fast green thumbs, they are now growing where all the world can see, in out flower planters in front of the house, subject to jealous eyes and thieving hands if things go bad. We hope we'll get to those big beefsteaks before anyone else does. I'm being moderately melodramatic here, because we have really good neighbors - it's just the passersby I'm suspicious of.

Our good friend Ron from Hawaii daze brought us our first seedlings a few weeks ago, which we gave to daughter Megan who already had a planter box and who has two great kids to help till and plant and fertilize. Ron is a gardening wonder - in Hawaii, he had his whole front yard dug up and producing taro and yams and any number of amazing yummy indigenous veggies, in addition to huge banana and papaya trees. It may get to that for us here in Utah - no, not growing banana trees. But people who treasure their precious lawns may be recycling the turf for edibles instead, which would sure solve my lawn mowing headaches.

Well, I hope I'm going to be juicing soon and reducing my fruits and veggies to pure fresh juice, more easily digestible and immediately absorbed. So come on carrot and apple and broccoli and beet and cabbage juice...so I can stop drinking my shampoo!

1 comment:

  1. Start making that Spinach smoothie I made for you that one time.
    2c. fresh spinach
    1c kale
    1c OJ
    Mix together until nice and green
    add 1/2 banana
    1/4c fozen or fresh blueberries
    1/4c frozen or fresh raspberries
    1c crushed ice.

    Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete